It’s just after 7.30am and Coco has me up before the bin men … who are just now picking up my rubbish.
I thought I’d just write a few lines here throughout the day … a kind of blog/twitter.
I think a few things are planned to happen today:
- Gabriel is taking me on a tour of cottages so I can take photos and info for a reader in this blog – update – postponed
- Aishling is coming over to look at the wee site I’m doing for her on WordPress … don’t miss her group exhibition tomorrow evening at the Solas Gallery in town
- I’m going to try and ring me dear friend Mary in Oz
- I’m going to test 2 online goal setting pieces of software √
- search for a free online project management site √
- Want to expand the action plan I’ve already written for SKIL2
- Want to expand at least one module of Life Dreaming
- I think I’m playing my first game of badminton (after about35 years) tonight
- I fight my never ending battle with the dirt fairies and goblins … I’m a dirt warrior … or is that a dirty warrior? √
- Take Coco & me for a walk
- Say hi to Mags, Dee, Eamonn, Noeleen … and anyone I come across in the street … Ballinamore … the Friendly Town … with the loony Australian who smiles at everyone! √
- Exchange a couple of dozen emails with my brother Marc … update … he’s offline today.
Going to lay down for an hour now … have to fit in lolling where and when I can.
9am – Back from the wee sleep in … lovely when 15 minutes feels like an hour.
9.30am – popped in to say hi to Dee and sort the cottage looking trip with Gabriel … postponed until tomorrow … cool … more time to chase dirt fairies … or … research online … know what I pick.
11.15am – trying to find a free (and effective) online project management site … many of them pretend to be free but restrict access unless you pay a monthly fee.
Any of my readers using anything they could recommend? Mags? Anyone?
Time to have a cup of Lady Grey tea and chill.
11.45am – I remember now … trying to find online project management software about a year or so ago … and going slightly (more) demented.
I’ve read about a dozen reviews of PM stuff … and they are either too complicated … too expensive … need Linux … don’t have the features I need … blah blah
Think I’ll watch Coco chew her Vet Doll … very soothing.
Back to work … and dear wonderful reader … if you can recommend a free PM online software … I will name a few bees after you.
La la la la la …
It has a heap of interesting features and I specially like how they start with Values (as does Life Dreaming) and then move to Goals & Actions. Heaps of tracking and sorting tools.
The free version only lets you track 4 goals. For USA $20 a year … you get the whole shemozzle.
Another interesting online personal planning site (this usually means that you don’t download software … you work online … it’s called cloud computing … yeh yeh … I know you’re delighted to know that fact) is Goal For It
And … Tadah … after much searching and head scratching and a bit of swearing … I’ve found the online project management software I want to trial.
It’s called View Path … and it does a range of neat things (look away if you find detailed planning sick making):
- works at the Macro level to set core project areas and then drill down as many layers as you need to the actions
- works on the Micro level to add daily actions and integrate back up to the Macro level
- links to a daily calendar … a bit like Google Calendar
- ability to set priorities, time lines, responsibilities
- can link activities visually
- everything goes into a Gannt chart
- you can move columns by dropping and dragging
- timelines can be moved on the Gannt chart just by clicking on a time
- can move between the macro and the micro
- has a range of video tutorials … i looked at the 15 minute intro and found it very intuitive and easy to understand
- different levels of access permissions
- completely online … no downloading necessary
- there is a free (and unrestricted) version as long as you don’t mind ads … I don’t care
I’m delighted and will give it a try … Marc and I need something like this to coordinate all the activities for our Life Dreaming project … and I’ll be able to add SKIL2 … and Lippylala … and any personal goals that have a lot of actions.
Big Tick for getting that done Liz. √
Off to make Dee a sandwich … may have one myself.
Feeling very pleased … one big goal achieved √ … now all I have to do is learn how to use it.
1.40pm – strange keeping an online account of my day like this … hour by hour … I can see Mags rolling her eyes from here.
Pitta bread with melted cheese and sprouts delivered to Dee … √.
Cold, wet and grey outside … √.
Pitta bread with melted cheese, sprouts and pesto eaten by Coco (sans sprouts) and me by the warm fire … √.
Swept lounge floor for second time today … dirt fairies and goblins winning. 1/2 √
Will I go back online and start learning/playing with the project management tool … or … go clean the kitchen?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm …. that’s a tough one … not.
2.30pm – just back from visiting Dee and Mags in their shops. Bought Coco a wee ball to chase around the loung room … it’s too cold and wet to walk today.
Was chatting to Mags when Conor Smyth came in … oh … that would be the Conor Smyth who forgot to pick me up on Tuesday to go eat pancakes at Janet Harts charity event (would have loved to be there Janet)… yup … that one.
The one left me waiting and waiting … hungry for pancakes … yup … that one.
Conor … I forgive … but don’t forget … be afraid.
It has taken Coco exactly 4 minutes to bite the ball into submission … it’s now more like a flat sphere … mad animal.
Now I need to find my WEP key so I can (hopefully) enable Mags laptop to access my broadband … wish me luck.
There’s a soundtrack of birds that has Coco staring at the computer trying to work out where they are!
3.10pm – one big thing done so far … and heaps of little things.
Just got a call from Mags letting me know that Patsy (her cat) was playing in her cottage window … I’ve wanted to take shots.
She thinks that she can get a rub from the other side of the window … sorry about the reflection of the buildings across the road.
Here she is …
yup … taking photos of Patsy sure beats being caught in peak hour traffic.
Right … when I’ve found my WEP key then I’m back to the project management plan for Life Dreaming.
4.40pm – don’t ask … when computers work they are fab … when they don’t … kill time.
Mags … I sorted the WEP key for your laptop but now the bloody thing has jammed and when I reboot (on my 12th try) it’s trying to scan the C Drive and just freezes half way through … actually got it to 94% scan before it froze.
And then my computer decided to freeze in sympathy … don’t let any one try and tell you that there aren’t gremlins in the system … they are living and dancing and laughing as I type.
Had a call from Niall and we’re planning the whole structure of the Liz Biz TV segments … fun … and work … and fun.
Going to give Mags laptop one more go before I just leave the cottage and yell into the street.
I don’t believe it … the threat of me yelling in the street obviously worked … I gave it one more try and Mags laptop rebooted … the gremlins are having a fine old time.
6.30pm – and then the computer freezes again … I take it to Mags and ask Conor if he can fix it … we tried and tried … still not working.
There’s time to just let it all go and give up for a while.
Had dinner and just want to chill for the rest of the evening.
So that’s it … a day nearly gone.