Has it been a week since I last blogged?
Last week just seemed to fly by and the weekend ended up being particularly busy.
On Saturday I had the Blog Design Workshop.
Many thanks to Jane in Shaylyn for the idea and the space … and much thanks to Laura on Saturday for all your help setting up.
We had the usual technical hitches setting up and had to change rooms … this all happened before the participants showed up … so it looked like all was perfectly organised.
This was my first blog design workshop and I wondered if I’d get through all the material … I did … and everyone left with a newly designed blog.
I really enjoyed it and I’ll let Pam (another blogger , friend and participant at the workshop) tell you what she thought of it all.
There’s Paul (Pams husband) and me chatting before the workshop started.
It was a wonderful relaxed and informative workshop -with Liz teaching us how to blog via WordPress.com (yeah, I know I can already blog via Typepad but I needed one that is free to use for work and Paul knew nothing!)
We were joined by father and son team – Phil and Dennis, from the new Kidscafé Youth Centre, Ballinamore, and we all learned how to set up (and indeed we did set up) a blog each! Liz is a deadly teacher and made it all so easy and answered all our questions. Well done Liz and thanks for a super afternoon. We learned loads and will be sharing it all with our students come September. Thank you!
On Sunday I was up at 8am and took Coco for a walk … she saw 2 sheep loose and ran to say hello … much to their delight … not!
I called her back … and she came … good Coco.
I was relaxing in the afternoon reading the papers when my good friend Anna Legge dropped over and said she was taking me to lunch at the Mountain Tavern … past Aughnashellin … yup … up the mountain.
I laughed because every time Anna has me in the car and we go to the Tavern for food … it’s been shut.
I actually refused to get out of the car when we got there … and told Anna that it would be shut.
She said ‘wanna bet?’
‘Sure’ says I ‘ A million euro’
So … now I owe an extra million euro to my expenses!
We had a lovely lunch … all organic and I’m pretty sure all the vegetables and salad are from their polytunnel next to the tavern.
After lunch Anna decided it was time for one of her Mystery Drives along the back roads of Leitrim.
I love them as we end up seeing places and landscape that I’ve never seen before … and this drive was no exception.
We stopped at the waterfall and it was running very fast for the summer … but then we have had some big rain.
It is always beautiful.
Here are some shots … can’t you just imagine yourself relaxing there?
Anna then took us to a pub that still has its front grocery shop … it was in Ballinagleara … and we stopped to read more papers.
We then spent hours wandering the back roads … getting to dead ends … reversing back on tiny roads so tractors could get by … trying to herd a donkey …
Yes … you heard right.
these are the safe … off the road donkeys
we obviously needed Mags … animal whisperer … along
We came across a donkey that had escaped it’s grazing … I tried to coax it back … but it ignored me completely.
As we went higher the views just make you so happy.
We ended up at another waterfall …
yes folks … we travelled the country side
…. and I was interested to see the turf cut and stacked on the mountain.
Anna dropped me home at 9pm … a lovely day thanks Anna.
At 11.30pm that night I was interviewed by Paul (on 1105-107FM in Dublin).
Marie Bradley had mentioned me to Paul as an interesting person to interview … thanks Marie.
We had a lovely chat for about 20 minutes about:
- Life Dreaming … the free workbook … and the whole package that Marc and I are developing to launch in late 2009
- LizBiz and blogging … I raved about how much I love living in Ballinamore and Leitrim … and how I have so many lovely readers all over the world … thanks folks.
- Why I came to Ireland
- Surviving and thriving in the recession … I told him about how I’m bartering my skills and time for things like massage (thanks Marie you are the best masseur) and coal and stuff. I also said that with my consultancy business being so badly affected … I was really taking time to look at all my skills and how they might make money … more on that later.
It was great fun … I had let people know fairly late on Facebook that I was doing the interview … and Derek and Lynda streamed it live in America ... gotta love social media folks.
Surviving and thriving in the recession
It’s a challenge ... no doubt about it.
And an opportunity.
Friends have been great at helping me brainstorm a pile of ideas:
- I’m available to babysit over the summer period … particularly the Festival. You know I love kids … and even better … they like me. Ring me on 9645443 if you want me to sit on your children!
- I’m going to see if I can do some more Blog Design workshops in Carrick and Dublin.
- Sending some information to the Cavan and Leitrim VEC’s about the training I do
- Developing a Training Info Pack and sending it to some national charities
- Still sending in tenders for work … I have 2 or 3 to do this week
- Have applied for social welfare while money from the consultancy is non existent
- Can develop peoples resumes and help them name and define their skills
- Will develop and design a blog for a family, business or community group/club
- Can walk dogs … or maybe they walk me!
- Continuing to develop Life Dreaming and SKIL2 with Marc ... that will have long term payoff
- Can teach swimming … I used to teach swimming for people aged between 4 and 60+ … I can also help ‘fix’ people swimming styles so it’s easier to move through the water.
- Still available to barter my skills and time for … other skills and products
- If you’re a business then I can help streamline work processes and help you think strategically about the future.
Not a bad list off the top of my head.
See … what I ‘ve realised is that it’s easy to get into a rut … to only see yourself in a certain way.
Not having contracts for my consultancy has forced me (because it’s often external circumstances that start change in our lives) to relook at myself and what I can offer … and … it’s starting to be fun to think of new ways of earning money.
My Dad said to me many many years ago when I was a girl
‘ I don’t really care what work you choose to do … as long as you do the best you can. If you want to be a hole digger … then dig the best hole’
He’s a wise man is my Pa.
Every job I’ve every had … from cleaning peoples houses … to tending bars … to developing a major training plan for St Vincent de Paul Ireland … I’ve given it my best … and always enjoyed the people in the process.
Now … the bills and debts haven’t gone away … they are actually growing.
What I know is this … I am doing everything within my power to earn money and reduce expenses … and stay happy and content in the process.
All the things that are outside my power … I give up to the Universe … or the deity of your choosing.
In the Life Dreaming Treasure Chest that Marc and I are designing … I have created a Resource Wheel … which is pretty darn useful to me at the moment.
I took it out yesterday and had a look at what I was using and what I needed to draw on … was very pleased to se how many internal and external resources I was using … I really do use all the tools I create for Life Dreaming.
It acted as a kind of checklist … just in case I had missed anything.
what you see when you look at things differently
So this week I keep developing ideas and ways to earn money as well as spend time with friends … write this blog … and walk Coco.
I send you big wishes for abundance and prosperity this week.